Thursday, November 4, 2010

H-E-L-P, we all need it.

"As they were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed Him. And two blind men sitting by the road, hearing that Jesus was passing by, cried out, "Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!" The crowd sternly told them to be quiet, but they cried out all the more, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!" And Jesus stopped and called them, and said, "What do you want Me to do for you?" They said to Him, "Lord, we want our eyes to be opened." Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight and followed Him."
Matthew 20:29-34

In Matthew there is this small story that really resonated with me on a level it never had before. It's a powerful image of the power and love of Christ and the courage of these two men. In Mark 10:46-52 and Luke 18:35-43 it's recorded as one man named Bartimaues receiving his sight though Matthews job was to remember the words of Jesus so it's one person's account all in all it's story resonates the same.

It says in the verse 29-31 a large crowd was following him but it seems clear with their actions that they were not necessarily following Him with their hearts. They show up everywhere in every walk of life we are in. It's the people that want the perks of being a Christian but none of the responsibility of being a surrendered follower. They look good but in their heart they are empty and cold. The amazing piece of this story is these followers needed to cry out too! we all need to be like these blind men at one point in our lives! We need to come to a point in our lives and realize that WE can't do anything to help ourselves but HE can!

I admire these men crying out for Jesus as I think in our lives as Christian we listen to others too much in how we worship or reach for God. These men were told to shut up basically and sometimes as a Christian when I confronted with something in my life that basically tells me to shut up regarding Christ, I do just that. Not these men! When the world is telling them to shut their face the cry out EVEN MORE! Their desire for God went beyond other peoples opinion and what the world was telling them to do.

As a Christian I have to realize that when the world is talking, and it always is as loud as it can, if I start listening to it I can't here what Christ is saying. As a Christian my focus and all Christian's focus need to be on the one whose voice saved me from this world. I need to ignore the worlds voice in what I should do, what success looks like, and what the world wants me to be just as these men did!

These men desired for their eyes to be opened and thats what happened. Not only in a mere physical sense but more importantly in a spiritual sense. I know that these men were not just talking about their vision but also their heart's because Jesus was moved with compassion by them. Jesus saw the brokenness of these men and their surrendered hearts. These men knew that they needed Jesus and they couldn't fix their eyes or their seperation from God but that "The Son of David" could! They got their sight and followed Him. They put on the right glasses, saw the right path to follow and followed the One who knew the way. These men put on the eyes of God and took the path that Jesus took.

God fixed these men's hearts and eyes and he can do that in my life as well but first I need to be willing to forget what the world says and be willing to cry our whole heartedly to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment